Tuesday, August 7, 2012

HLA Class I: An unexpected role in integrin β4 signaling in endothelial cells.

The production of anti-donor antibodies to HLA class I and class II antigens following transplantation is associated with development of transplant vasculopathy and graft loss. Antibodies against HLA class I (HLA-I) molecules are thought to contribute to transplant vasculopathy by triggering signals that elicit the activation and proliferation of endothelial cells. The proximal molecular events that regulate HLA-I dependent signal transduction are not well understood. We demonstrated a mutual dependency between HLA-I and integrin β4 to stimulate signal transduction and cell proliferation. Similarly, we found that integrin β4-mediated cell migration was dependent upon its interactions with HLA-I molecules. Since integrin β4 has been implicated in angiogenesis and tumor formation, associations between integrin β4 and HLA-I may play an important role in cancer. Further characterization of interactions between HLA-I and integrin β4 may lead to the development of therapeutic strategies for the treatment and prevention of chronic allograft rejection and cancer (read more) Print this post

No comments:

Post a Comment